has updated it's forum.  To post a question please visit the new Ask@ Forum.   

With a database of over 10000 questions the library will remain available for an extended period.


What is this mechanism called? Used in tablet stands. View All
I need to research this mechanism but I don't know what its called. Its function is to hold the linkage in place until a threshold force is applied. Sorry this description is terrible, perhaps the video can explain it better: skip to 0:34

Thanks for any help with naming or references!


10 years ago - 2 months left to answer. - 2 responses - Report Abuse
Respond to question
    0      [lnkReport]        0       0       
Share |

It looks like a swivel joint to me, possibly operating on friction to hold it in place with an adjusting nut. I work with Hospital mounting systems that operate in a similar manner. See the link; Look at page 8.

10 years ago


  0     0         

clutch hinge

10 years ago


  0     0  does not provide engineering advice. The Ask@ service is a forum for members to exchange ideas relating to the world of engineering. We caution users not to accept any responses that they receive without further validation, and not to rely on any engineering advice that they may get from other members of the Ask@ forum. specifically disclaims any obligation to validate or verify any information posted within the Ask@ service. encourages users to seek the services of a professional engineer for any engineering advice they may require.